“Stewardship” means taking care of the environment today so that the next generation can enjoy the same amenities and natural beauty as we do. It’s a promise and an obligation that Nebraska’s locally owned electric utilities take seriously.
Members of the NPA practice stewardship every day – organizationally and individually:
- We invest to reduce emissions from our power plants
- We work with state and federal agencies to protect threatened or endangered species of wildlife
- We protect and utilize water resources in a sustainable and ecologically balanced manner to enhance the quality of life and the environment in Nebraska
- We reduce, reuse, and recycle to conserve landfill space and minimize the use of virgin materials
- We generate an increasing portion of our electricity from renewable resources like wind and solar
- We support tomorrow’s environmental scientists through internships, grants, and donations of land and equipment
- We offer customers opportunities to improve the efficiencies of their homes and buildings, which also lowers energy use and minimizes the impact on the environment
- We have weatherized thousands of homes in our state, lowering their energy costs and reducing the need to generate electricity
- We have lowered energy use at our facilities by replacing equipment , changing lighting and installing renewable energy generators
Our state has extraordinary beauty. NPA members share a commitment to preserving and protecting our land, water, and air. Our efforts are most effective when we work in collaboration with customers, communities, non-profit organizations, and regulatory agencies.